N&R Auction Gallery sells your property as a broker or agent. Sellers consign property to us to sell on their behalf through our catalog and Cornerstone auctions and receive the sales proceeds, less a commission and other fees paid to N&R Auction Gallery. Our role is similar to a real estate agency: as the agency lists and sells a house or office building on your behalf, earning a sales commission, we “list” and sell your personal property, fine arts and collectibles.
All consignors must execute a contract with N&R Auction Gallery that specifies the terms and conditions under which we will accept and attempt to sell your property, including commission rates and fees. The contract is signed by the seller (or seller’s agent) and a N&R Auction Gallery representative. Contact the Business Office for more information at 202-316-2528.
If you wish to speak with a representative about consigning property for auction, please contact the N&R Auction Gallery at (202) 316-2528 or send an email to email@example.com.
You may bring your property or photographs of the property, if not portable, directly to our gallery where our representatives will give you preliminary auction estimates and advice. There is no charge for this service, but we request that you telephone ahead for an appointment.
You may also mail or email a clear photograph of each item, or a sample from a group of items if the property is from a large collection, and one of our representatives will provide a free preliminary auction estimate, subject to a further auction estimate after first–hand inspection. Please be sure to include the dimensions, artist’s signature or maker’s mark, medium, physical condition and any other relevant information known to you.
N&R Auction Gallery representatives are available for travel to the property’s location at no expense to you if the consignment warrants. Please contact the Gallery to arrange on-site visits.
Types of Sales
N&R Auction Gallery holds two types of auctions:
• Catalogue auctions: High-end fine arts and collectibles, supported by a full-color catalogue. Held 5 – 6 times per year.
• Collector’s Cornerstone auctions: Vintage furniture and lower-valued fine and decorative arts and collectibles; held biweekly, except when catalogue auctions are in progress.
N&R Auction Gallery representatives will discuss with you the appropriate venue for your consignments.
All consignors of property through N&R Auction Gallery catalogue auctions are required to pay a Seller’s Commission, which is based on the successful hammer price of property sold.
Please see our Rate Card for commissions, available from the Business Office at 202-316-2528 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
N&R Auction Gallery provides a transportation service for consignors’ personal property at rates that are generally below typical market rates; delivery of property to N&R Auction Gallery is at the consignor’s expense, but normally this charge is deducted from the consignment sale proceeds.
Additionally, at consignor’s request, N&R Auction Gallery will provide names of third-party packers and shippers. These third-party firms are independent contractors, and N&R Auction Gallery provides this information solely as a courtesy to our consignors.
Advertising and Promotion
N&R Auction Gallery offers Sellers of property a comprehensive marketing and sales program for highlighting consigned property, including the following:
• Catalogue auction. All property is lotted , photographed and described in a full-color catalogue published prior to the auction in which the property is offered. This catalogue is mailed to important bidders, placed on our web site and is available for sale prior to and during the auction. Each auction is promoted through extensive mailings, including post cards and brochures, newspaper and other print media advertising.
• Collectors’ Cornerstone auction. All property is lotted and described in a b/w catalogue. Each auction is promoted through post card mailings, newspaper and other print media advertising.
• Electronic Catalogues. An electronic catalogue is prepared for each auction and made available on our web site and Artfact.com, where buyers can place live bids over the Internet.
• Post-sale Price List. A complete post–sale price list is available in printed form and from our following each auction with the hammer price of all items sold.